The Great Canadian Sales Competition submissions from Year 1.
This is a contest for sales people. Future sales people to be exact. We want to see what bright, eager and talented university and college students can do when asked to pitch something that they feel passionate about. It can be anything you want: a product, service, innovation, charity, political position, sports team, tv show, search engine or college program.
The first year of The Great Canadian Sales Competition came to a close on March 12th, 2015. We will launching the second year of The Competition in October 2015. To see highlights from the first year, please visit:
- 1st Place: Rachele Benjamin, Sheridan College - $5,000 and 2 round trip tickets for anywhere in North America
- 2nd Place: Matiya Szauer, University of Toronto - $1,000
- 3rd Place: Bethany Chan, Langara College - $1,000
- Finalist: David Hughes, Concordia University - $500
- Finalist: Hanna Johnson, Conestoga College - $500
- Finalist: Robby Jones, BCIT - $500
- Finalist: Tony Kim, University of British Columbia - $500
- Finalist: Jacquie Kine, BCIT - $500
- Finalist: Lenny Ohm, BCIT - $500
- Finalist: Vikram Singh, Rotman School of Management - $500
- 215 participants
- 36 fields of study
- 33 schools
- 6 provinces: Alberta, British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan
Round 1 is an online video contest open to all University and College students across the country (only students enrolled at an accredited college or university are eligible for future rounds and for prizes). Students are asked to pitch a product/service/idea (from a political stance to their own invention to a debate around whether Hunger Games or Harry Potter is better) in a 30-90 second video (you will not be penalized if you run over). This contest is not about what you pitch; it is about how you pitch it (think of it like a Shark Tank style pitch). Follow the steps on the Enter Your Pitch page to upload your video. The top 25% of videos will make it to Round 2 which will be determined by the community vote (50%) and judging panel (50%).
You’ll be awarded a maximum of 5 points each for:
- How comfortable you seem in your pitch
- How well you convey your message
- How persuasive you are in your point of view
Round 2 will involve another pitch, but this time it will be geared toward The Competition sponsors. The Top 10 will make it to The Finals.
The Final Round will be an in-person event that will involve opening up a sales call. All Finalists will win a paid trip to the The Finals. All Finalists will win a financial prize (ranging from $500-5000) and the chance to get hired by Top Canadian Employers.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. Travel insurance, spending money, meals, passports, visas, transport to and from departure point and all other ancillary costs, as well as obtaining any of these, are not included in the prize and are the responsibility of The Finalists.
2. Once booked, any changes made to the booking may incur a cancellation fee or amendment fee, at the cost of The Finalists.
3. In the event of a state of emergency, disaster or any other circumstance beyond the control of Sales Talent Agency (Sponsor), the Sponsor reserves the right to either provide an alternative travel destination to the same value as the original prize or, subject to any applicable laws or written directions made under applicable legislation, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition.
4. All information will remain confidential and will not be sold or disclosed to third parties unless the student (The Entrant) indicates that they would like to be contacted by sponsor(s) about employment opportunities.
5. Throughout The Great Canadian Sales Competition (The Competition), the Sponsor may take videos and images of The Entrant that may be used in brochures, in The Sponsor's advertising, and on The Sponsor's website. All participants of The Competition authorise the Sponsor to use his/her image (such as photograph, videotape, film or pictorial representation or recorded voice). If you do not wish for this to happen please notify The Sponsor in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Manager, Strategic Projects, #310-96 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, ON, M5V 2J6.
6. Flight will be provided from the closest International airport. Transportation to airport will not be covered by the Sponsor.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
In order to be considered for The Competition, The Entrant must apply during Round 1 of The Competition. Round 1 of The Great Canadian Sales Competition starts on October 15th, 2014 and ends on January 31st, 2015.
The Competition is open to residents of Canada who are students at an accredited college or university at the point of application (proof may be required). Entrants must have a valid email address in order to enter. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state, provincial, and local laws and regulations.
HOW TO ENTER:
During the Entry Period, entrants must film a 30-90 second video pitching anything of their choice (restrictions listed below under "VIDEO REQUIREMENTS"). Entrant must then upload the video to The Competition website at www.
Entrants may enter the Competition more than one time, but each entry must be a different pitch. An entrant may only enter a pitch completed by him/her.
Any video that the Sponsor deems, in its sole discretion, to not comply with the VIDEO REQUIREMENTS (below) or to otherwise violate the terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules will be removed from the Contest.
Sales Talent Agency is not responsible for late, lost, misdirected, delayed, incomplete or incompatible videos. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entrant it finds to be attempting to tamper with or undermine the entry process or the legitimate operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules.
LICENSE/USE OF ENTRIES:
By submitting a video, each Entrant gives The Sponsor a non-exclusive, perpetual, transferrable, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid-up license to use, reproduce, edit, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display his/her video, in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes;
Videos must meet the following “Video Requirements”:
· must be the original work of the entrant, and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity.
· must not contain, as determined by The Sponsor in its sole discretion, any content that: is sexually explicit; violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane, vulgar, offensive; contains nudity; promotes alcohol, drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons; promotes any activities that may be or appear to be unsafe or dangerous or illegal; defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging or defamatory remarks about other people or companies; contains copyrighted materials owned by others; and/or violates any law or regulation; and/or any other content that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, all as determined by The Sponsor in its sole discretion.
By submitting a Video, entrant warrants and represents that he/she and any persons appearing or who are identifiable in the Video consent to the submission and use of the Video in The Competition, and the license to use the Video in accordance with these Official Rules. By submitting a Video, The Entrant hereby grants permission for the Video to be posted in any format associated with The Sponsor including on social media and on the websites of The Sponsor and partnering sponsors of The Competition.
All eligible Videos received during the Entry Period will be judged and scored by representatives of The Sponsor and partnership sponsors ("Judges") based on the following criteria (the “Judging Criteria”):
1. Community Vote (# of likes) (50%)
2. Judging Vote (how comfortable the person seem in your pitch; how well you convey your message; how persuasive you are in your point of view) (50%)
The top 25% of Video submissions will move to Round 2. The top 10 will be determined by The Sponsor and partnership sponsors.
The Winner of The Competition will be determined by a panel of judges, who will be declared no later than March 1st, 2015.
The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Entry Period and the quality of the Videos submitted.
RELEASE AND INDEMNIFICATION:
BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, ENTRANTS AGREE TO RELEASE, DISCHARGE AND HOLD THE RELEASED PARTIES HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL ACTIONS, CAUSES OF ACTION, CLAIMS, COSTS AND PAYMENTS FOR DAMAGES, LOSS, INJURY, OR DEATH, HOWEVER OCCURRING, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, AS A RESULT OF PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST OR ANY CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY OR RESULTING FROM ACCEPTANCE, USE, OR MISUSE OF, OR PARTICIPATION IN, THE PRIZE.
This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. When you enter the Contest, Facebook will not collect your personal information. By entering the Contest, an Entrant agrees to release and hold harmless Facebook from any and all liability associated with this promotion.
Sales Talent Agency: #310-96 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, ON, M5V 2J6